SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS IN HUNGARY
Through the Hungarian Scholarship Board Office, the Hungarian Minister of Education and Culture offers scholarships for foreign students and professors of higher education institutions as well as research fellows who intend to gain further professional experience in Hungarian institutions of higher education or research.
Scholarships can be applied for under two systems:
Bilateral Agreements: Scholarships are awarded to citizens of countries (and territories) that have a valid/effective educational co-operation programme with Hungary, or a bilateral agreement signed by the Hungarian Government or the Ministry of Education and Culture of Hungary and the relevant ministry of the given country (or territory).
Scholarship Pool: Various types scholarships are available to students from selected countries/territories.
Countries eligible under Scholarship Pool: Albania, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korean Republic, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, The Netherlands, Norway, Republic of the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Romania, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States of America.
Countries with Bilateral Agreements: China, Columbia, Mongolia, Palestine, Yemen, and Vietnam.
Cases for Non-Eligibility
- Foreign citizens with a residence permit or in the course of applying for a residence permit in Hungary cannot apply.
- Men and women, who have an employment contract or employment relationship as defined by the law in Hungary cannot apply
- Students applying for part-time or correspondence study programmes cannot apply.
- Students applying for non state-financed universities cannot apply.
- Students admitted to tuition fee-paying institutions of higher education cannot apply.
- 30 years for scholarships for semester studies
- 40 years for scholarships for postgraduate studies
- 35 years for scholarship for PhD scholarships
- 45 years for postdoctoral scholarships
- There are no age limits for the following types of scholarships: research stay and summer courses.