Hungarian higher education has represented academic excellence for more than 600 years; today there are 67 higher education institutions nationwide. Hungary is a member of OECD, NATO, EU and a Schengen state. Administratively, Hungary is divided into 19 counties with the capital city of Budapest being independent of any county government.

Entry Requirements For Hungary

We have been welcoming students from Hungary for many years and our staffs are very familiar with the Hungarian education system and qualifications. Consider all applications on their individual merit and welcome students from Hungary with a wide variety of qualifications and experience.


All citizens of Australia, Canada, Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the U.K., and the U.S. entering Hungary are required to show a passport that will be valid for their entire length of stay.

For stays of up to 3 months your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.The Hungarian authorities have confirmed they will accept British passports extended by 12 months by British Embassies.


A specific visa is not required for visiting Hungary for citizens of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the U.K., or the U.S. However, when you enter the country, you are technically entering on a tourist visa, though there are no preparations needed; it is automatic when you enter the country. All but the British are permitted to stay for 90 days on a tourist visa. The British are allowed a 6-month stay. In order to work or study, you must apply for special visas before leaving your country of citizenship by applying to the Hungarian Embassy or Consulate there.

British citizens do not require a visa to enter Hungary. If you intend to stay more than 90 days, you must register with the nearest regional Immigration Office Language requirements for studies at universities in Hungary


According to Hungarian legislation, foreign students must pass an exam in Hungarian language as a requirement to be awarded the diploma. In the event you are taking undergraduate studies, you will be required to have a level of command of Hungarian corresponding to, at least, C1 in the Euro pass Language Passport. For graduate courses, your institution will determine which language exams you will have to take before you can be awarded the diploma. However, if the language of instruction is not Hungarian, you are exempted from the Hungarian language examination requirement.


If the language of instruction is English, you will be requested to prove your level of command of the English language. For this purpose, you may present the results obtained at internationally recognized examinations, such as the TOEFL test, or pass an exam at the Hungarian institution where you will be studying. If you are an EU student, you may also ask your institution to evaluate your English studies from upper secondary school to learn whether they are sufficient for you to meet the language requirement. Students from English speaking countries who have received their upper secondary education in English are usually exempted from passing any English language examination.

Course Search